Joe Butler Named 2020 Iowa PGA Golf Professional of the Year
– Joe Butler of Burlington Golf Club has been named the 2020 Iowa PGA Golf Professional of the Year. The Golf Professional of the Year Award is the highest honor paid to an Iowa PGA Golf Professional. The honoree is chosen based on leadership abilities that stand above the rest, contributions made to their facility’s success, and excelling as an overall golf professional at the Iowa PGA Section level.
Butler grew up in Fort Madison, Iowa where he began playing golf at an early age with his dad and brothers. He began working at Fort Madison Country Club at the age of 14, under PGA Professional Rod Rogers. His love for the game kept growing as he got older. Butler attended the University of South Carolina where he competed as a member of the Gamecock golf team.
He worked at the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo, Florida, and then moved on to the Country Club of Orangeburg (SC) where he served as assistant professional to South Carolina Hall of Famer, Vic Lipscomb. Vic was a major reason for Butler getting into the golf business. Butler then moved back to the midwest as an assistant at Soangetaha Country Club, Galesburg, Illinois.
Butler become a Class A PGA Member in 1985. Butler’s first Head PGA Professional job was at Lake Bracken Country Club in Galesburg, IL from 1986 through 1992. Butler then became the PGA Head Professional at Burlington Golf Club in 1993. Butler is still currently serving the BGC membership as their PGA Head Professional.
In the past Butler has won awards while being a Member of the Iowa PGA. Butler won the Professional Development (formally known as the Horton Smith) in the year’s 1996 and 1997. Butler maintains a high standard of playing golf witnessed by winning the Senior Player of the Year in 2007 and 2008 and SuperSenior Player of the Year in 2017 and 2018. Butler has won the Iowa Golf Association PGA Professional of the Year twice, in 1996 and 2015.
One of Butler’s great accomplishments was qualifying and playing in The Hardees Golf Classic (now the John Deere Classic) five times during his career.
When asked on what this means to win this award, “I was shocked to be chosen, it means so much coming from your peers. It is truly an honor to have my name associated with the previous winners of this award.” Butler said.
On behalf of the Iowa PGA Members, Associates and Iowa PGA staff we congratulate Joe Butler as the 2020 Iowa PGA Golf Professional of the Year.
The Iowa PGA Section also selected 11 other Award Winners. All will be honored at the All-Star Pro Golf Special Awards Luncheon to be hosted by Riverside Casino & Golf Resort on Tuesday, November 10. The 2020 Iowa PGA Junior Tour Player of the Year winners will also be invited and honored.
2020 Iowa PGA Awards
Assistant Professional of the Year
Teacher of the Year
- Jacob Shultz, Blue Top Ridge
- Ken Schall, Ken Schall Performance Studio
Professional Development Award
- Michael McNamara, Blue Top Ridge
Youth Player Development Award
- Erin Strieck, Pinnacle Country Club
- Sarah Bidney, Wakonda Club
Player Development Award
- Jim Dickerson, Finkbine Golf Course/GIVE
Private Merchandiser of the Year
- Mark Egly, Des Moines Driving Range
Public Merchandiser of the Year
- Steve Watt, Glen Oaks Country Club
Resort Merchandiser of the Year
- Matt Erger, Airport National Public Golf Course
Sales Representative of the Year
- Bryan Haas, Blue Top Ridge Golf Course
For more information and schedule updates, fans can follow the Iowa PGA on Facebook (facebook.com/Iowapga
), Twitter (@iowapga
) and YouTube (youtube.com/iowapga
). Fans can also get a behind the scenes look on Instagram (@iowapga